- Ajmal Khan
- Ben Rogers
- Daniel Scott
- Maritza Basaran
- Shawna Wade
- Patricia Mckeever
What was this study about?
ScreenPlay has been enjoyed by clients and families at HBKRH since May 2012. ScreenPlay is an inclusive, contactless interactive media display that mitigates spread of infections through its lack of touch surfaces. ScreenPlay was designed to be maximally accessible to people of all abilities. Several hospitals have expressed interest in reproducing ScreenPlay or a similar experience in their waiting areas.
Our goal was to expand access to an evidence-based interactive media solution, ScreenPlay, developed at Holland Bloorview to create an accessible, positive and safe waiting experience for children in healthcare centres.
What did we do?
- We consulted with the Children’s Advisory Council to improve the interactive experience of ScreenPlay.
- We transformed ScreenPlay from a one-off installation to a commercializable product.
- We built partnerships with SmileZone, a charitable foundation that renovates children’s healthcare waiting spaces, to serve as national distribution channel for ScreenPlay.
- With SmileZone, we completed our first installation of ScreenPlay outside of Holland Bloorview at Hotel Dieu Hospital in Kingston with great success.
Impact for clients, families and clinical practice
We know that ScreenPlay is an effective solution for pediatric healthcare waiting spaces that is more inclusive with reduced risk for infection spread.The ability to widely distribute ScreenPlay will mean that more children and families benefit from this innovation developed at Holland Bloorview.This project is supporting Holland Bloorview’s strategic direction of leading the system.
What did we learn?
- Through this project, we developed a much better understanding of what is needed to transform ScreenPlay into a more marketable and versatile solution.
- We learned the importance of establishing and nurturing the right partnerships with like-minded organizations that care about the well-being and health of children with disabilities.
- We will continue to work with SmileZone and OACRS to translate ScreenPlay into children’s healthcare waiting spaces across Canada.
- We will further develop the ScreenPlay product for ease of set-up to accommodate organizations with a range of space needs.We will explore opportunities to expand commercialization and distribution of ScreenPlay through a social venture.