Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital continues to monitor the COVID-19 pandemic and taking precautions to ensure the safety for all clients, families, staff, volunteers, and students.
We continue to maintain some infection prevention and control (IPAC) measures. This includes masking and mandatory staff vaccination. We do this in recognition of the vulnerable populations we serve in our building. As well, we are monitoring a variety of metrics that influence our pandemic policies including COVID-19 test positivity rates, client and staff cases, hospitalizations and waste water trends.
Holland Bloorview strongly recommends vaccination for all eligible populations to protect themselves, their loved ones and the community.
As of April 1, 2023, SickKids’ COVID-19 Vaccine Consult Service is now closed. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the COVID-19 vaccine, influenza vaccine, or any other routine vaccines, please book a free phone appointment with the VaxFacts+ Clinic.
Please see the sections below for additional information about visiting Holland Bloorview.
If you have a concern about your child’s health, please get in touch with your clinical team or primary care physician. If your matter is urgent, please visit the nearest emergency department.
As of February 27, 2023, active screening with onsite screeners is no longer required upon entry. All those entering the hospital for research, inpatient visits, outpatient and business appointments are required to wash their hands and take a mask from the appropriate masking station located in main reception and self-screen for symptoms. At Holland Bloorview, everyone age 2.5 years (30 months) and older is required to wear a hospital-provided mask if they can safely do so.
Please continue to monitor for symptoms and do not enter the hospital if you are feeling unwell. All staff, students, volunteers, inpatient caregivers and visitors of inpatient clients are required to wear their lanyards in order to be identifiable as authorized personnel within Holland Bloorview.
- Family presence at the bedside is limited to no more than two persons up to 11 p.m. at any given time. Infant siblings up to 30 months are not included in the visitor count.
- Designated caregivers/guardians must wear red lanyards. All other visitors to the bedside must wear a black lanyard and visitor badge for identification purposes. These can be picked up and dropped off at reception.
- Please wear a mask at all times. Inpatient clients over the age of 2.5 years (30 months) are required to wear a mask (medical or well-fitted cloth), if they are able, when outside of their room.
- A maximum of one designated caregiver is permitted to stay overnight between the hours of 11 p.m. and 7 a.m.
- Larger group visits can take place in the cafeteria, Coriat Atrium, Spiral Garden or front courtyard. As a reminder, physical distancing protocols are still in effect when masks are removed for eating or drinking.
Suggested visiting hours (excluding designated caregivers who can be present anytime):
- Monday – Friday from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Saturday, Sunday and statutory holidays from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
For more information and exemptions, see our official policy (PDF).
Outpatient family and caregiver presence policy
A maximum of four people can accompany clients to appointments including two caregivers over the age of 16 plus two other loved ones of any age (infants under 2.5 years are not included in visitor count).
If your family requires additional support when visiting the hospital, an accommodation/exception requests can be made by calling 416-425-6220 ext. 3115 at least 48 hours before your appointment.
All staff, researchers, volunteers and students at the hospital must be vaccinated except those with medical exemptions.