It is our goal to see children and youth participating successfully in aquatic programs in their communities.
Given the enormous social and physical benefits of aquatic programs, we are working to ensure that as many children and youth as possible, have the opportunity to be involved in a swim program. We have put the following services in place to support success in local programs for children who move, learn, communicate or behave differently.
Individual assessments (at Holland Bloorview)
Individual in-water aquatic assessments can be arranged and will be tailored to meet your needs, and those of your child. Take this assessment to your local pool, to help them understand the needs of your swimmer. Each assessment will include one-on-one time with the swimmer in the pool and will include a review of any/all of the following:
- General level of comfort in the water Amount and type of support required in the water
- Suggestions regarding use of equipment in the pool
- Accessibility requirements
- Assistance required (if any) getting into and out of the water
- Suggested swimming level for registration in an instructional program
- Suggestions regarding swimming skills to be developed
- Comments regarding the client's general level of safety in and around the water
- Any other areas as requested
Cost: Verbal report - $25 | Written report - $35.
Individual support (at your local pool)
All facilities should be willing and able to meet the needs of your children. If you have any questions about how your child will be accommodated at your local pool, speak with that pool’s Aquatic supervisor. If requested, Holland Bloorview aquatic staff would be happy to provide assistance which could include telephone discussions with the aquatic staff at your local pool.