Registration for the 2020 Spiral Garden is now open!
About Spiral Garden
Spiral Garden is an integrated outdoor art, garden and play program that has been integral to Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital since 1984. This innovative program for children with and without special needs, is run by professional artists, support and medical staff, brings together children ages 6 to 18 (see note about participants aged 19-21 under Eligibility below) with and without disabilities from the community and Holland Bloorview to:
- Explore self and collective expression through a variety of art media
- Nurture our relationship to nature through tending our organic garden
- Foster an inclusive community that gives attention to the whole person.
2020 Dates and Fees
Spiral Garden sessions are typically offered in two-week sessions (A, B, C and D), each lasting 8-10 days, from 9:00am to 4:00pm daily. A limited number of one-week (4 or 5 days) registration spots are available, see the Spiral Garden registration form for more information.
$550 Spiral Garden Session A 10 days: July 6 - 10 and July 13 - 17
$495 Spiral Garden Session B 9 days: July 21 - 24 and July 27 - July 31
$550 Spiral Garden Session C 10 days: August 10 - 14 and August 17 - 21
$495 Spiral Garden Session D 9 days: August 25 - 28 and August 31 - September 4
Spiral Garden is an integrated program. We reserve 50% of the spots for participants with a special needs and 50% for those without.
- Participants must be aged 6-18. A 5-year old may attend if they are turning 6 by the end of 2020.
- A limited number of spots are available in each session for participants aged 19-21.
- Before their spot is confirmed, new participants with special needs will need to attend a 30-minute Participant Screening to help us better understand their needs and if we can support them in the program. Please see the summer brochure for more information.
- New participants are welcome to register for one session in their first year.
Attending multiple sessions
- Participants who have attended Spiral Garden in a previous year may register for a second session
- Participants who wish to attend a third session will be placed on the waitlist to ensure that other families can attend a single session first
- Each participant must be able to attend the program independently (i.e. without dedicated 1:1 support) OR those who need it, must have 1:1 support. Please see the 1:1 Support page for more information.
1:1 Support at Spiral Garden
The Spiral Garden program takes place in the scenic, approximately 1.5 acre garden site at Holland Bloorview. It is a large and busy space when the program is running. In order to ensure that we can provide each participant with a fun, safe, and engaging summer experience, we will determine that each participant has appropriate support in place before their spot is confirmed.
On your registration form, please make sure you tell us if you need assistance providing 1:1 support for your child. New participants will be contacted to set up a Participant Screening session to help us determine if the appropriate support is in place for your child, before their spot is confirmed.
- We offer a limited number of spots with 1:1 facilitators to support participants (aged 6 - 18) at no additional cost to the family. These staff will support a participant for the entire session. A participant is eligible to receive this support for only one session.
- We offer a limited number of spots with 1:1 volunteers to support participants (aged 6 - 18) at no additional cost to the family. These volunteers may only offer a minimal level of support and are not trained to support activities of daily living, such as feeding and toileting, or behavioral redirection. A participant may use this support for only one session.
- Families may also send their own 1:1 facilitator. This is someone who is designated by the parent/guardian to provide all support required by the participant during their time in the program. For example, care workers, nannies, family/relative who are at least 16 years of age.
Please contact us at 416-425-6220 ext. 3317 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your situation.