Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital's Aquatic Therapy program aims to help improve children’s strength, balance, range of motion and overall fitness. Any child for whom these specific goals are reasonable and achievable is appropriate to enter this program.
Classes will be provided in a small group session (max. 5 children) with individual exercise programs developed and supervised by a physiotherapist and one-on-one support provided by trained volunteers.
No physician referral is required. Families can self-refer for Aquatic Therapy program.
Benefits of aquatic therapy include
- Increase in joint flexibility. Buoyancy offers a tremendous advantage because it reduces the effects of gravity allowing for increased joint range of motion. The warm water also helps to relax muscles that are sore or tight.
- Increase in muscle strength. Water is 600-700 times more resistive than air which allows for strengthening of weakened muscles. Water resists rapid movement so equipment with increased surface area is used to increase strength.
- Decrease in pain. Immersion in warm water increases an individual’s comfort, by increasing blood supply to sore muscles and promoting relaxation. Weight relief to weakened body structures also creates additional comfort.
- Decrease in tone, spasticity, and rigidity. Water temperatures above 92 degrees in conjunction with hands on techniques are effective in creating neutral warmth that reduces increased tone.
- Improved balance. The uniform pressure of the water along with buoyancy provides support which allows increased time to react without the fear of falling or getting hurt.
Program Dates: Mondays (September 30 - December 2, 2019) - No session on Monday, October 14, 2019 (Thanksgiving holiday)
1. Print our self-referral form and mail or fax it to us before September 13, 2019 (address and fax number are on the form).
2. Due to high demand for the program participants will be randomly selected on Monday September 16, 2019 and will be contacted to discuss assigning a time for the session and assessment (if necessary.).
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Krysta Pigden at 416-425-6220 ext. 3707 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Day: Mondays (September 30, 2019- December 2, 2019 - No session on Monday, October 14, 2019 (Thanksgiving holiday)
Time: 30-minute semi-private session (times will be assigned based on appropriate grouping)
4:15 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.
4:50 p.m. - 5:20 p.m.
5:25 p.m. - 5:55 p.m.
6:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Cost: $810 ($90.00 per session for 9 sessions)
Initial assessment cost: $105.00
Returning assessment cost: $ 80.00
(Physiotherapy receipts provided)
Location: Elkie Adler Therapy Pool,
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital,
150 Kilgour Rd. Toronto, M4G 1R8