The information provided in this newsletter is for reference only. It is not intended as a recommendation or endorsement of organizations, news sources, policies or political parties, or as a comprehensive resource list.
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital
COVID-19 Family Town Hall updates for outpatient clients and families
As we begin to increase the number of programs and services available on-site, we know our families have a lot of questions about their safe return to 150 Kilgour. To help address these concerns and prepare you for coming on-site for a future appointment, we are hosting a virtual town hall for our outpatient clients and families.
Solution-Focused Communication for Families workshops are designed to help parents improve their communication skills by highlighting their family strengths and resources. They are free and co-facilitated by a parent. For more information contact Elaine Cook, firstname.lastname@example.org
- NEWFamily Tipsheet: Understanding Virtual Care
- NEWTransitions Popup with March of Dimes LIFE program (Nov 20)
- NEWBLOOM September 2020 e-letter
- COVID-19: Tip Sheets and Resources
- ASD-Engage (weekly podcast) Discusses topics that are meaningful for parents and families of children and youth with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), including those who are on the waitlist for an ASD assessment to those who have just received a diagnosis.
- Isofriendships A podcast that explores what social connection means for youth living with disabilities during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- HB Info Line The HB Info Line is a new service to help kids, youth and families learn about and get connected to the many programs and services at Holland Bloorview.
- HB Alumni Network We have developed an alumni network so clients (13+), families, and caregivers can connect, share experiences and help us improve care and services.
- BLOOM’s blog on parenting children with disabilities To subscribe to BLOOM’s monthly e-letter, go to the link and scroll down to the blue banner to input your e-mail.
- BLOOM Facebook
- Parent Voices @ Holland Bloorview Facebook
Flu Shot & COVID-19 testing for families
- Looking for a flu shot? Enter your city or the name/address of a pharmacy or medical clinic to be notified by email when flu shots become available.
- Ontario COVID-19 testing centres Includes location, hours and services offered e.g. tests young children, older people, interpreter available, wheelchair accessibility etc.
- City of Toronto’s COVID-19 testing centres includes information on age restrictions and hours of operation for each centre.
Did you know
Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) and Toronto Public Library
PRESTO cards are being provided to people who do not yet have one or may face challenges in purchasing one. Starting October 5, 2020, PRESTO cards will be available at select Toronto Public Library branches. Click herefor a list.
Ontario Autism Program - Foundational Family Services
- Foundational Family Services are for families registered with the Ontario Autism Program (OAP)
- If you are not sure if you are registered for the Ontario Autism Program, you can contact the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services for help at:1-888-444-4530 or email@example.com
- There is no cost and no limit to the number of times you can register for these services.
- October/November webcasts (Partners for Planning)
- Caregiver Non-Violent Crisis Intervention For family members and caregivers who would like to improve their skills in managing crisis situations, and learn about de-escalation techniques. Different dates offered (Kerry’s Place)
- Learning Portal and video training modules Includes modules on teaching strategies and social skills for ASD (Kerry’s Place)
Caregiver mental health
- Free check in calls with a P4P Facilitator (Partners for Planning)
- Mental health for adults with developmental disabilities during COVID-19: A virtual course for family caregivers (Nov 3 - Dec 8) (Azrieli Adult Neurodevelopmental Centre & Centre for Addiction and Mental Health)
- Financial Relief Navigator (FRN): A tool to increase the financial well-being of people living on low incomes. It gathers all the benefits and relief packages developed for all Canadians at the Federal and Provincial levels of government (Prospercanada.org)
- COVID-19 related legal developments: COVID-19 related legal developments including changes in government benefits and emergency supports, future planning rules, visitation rules, back to school considerations, and legal issues related to layoffs (Pooran Law)
Understanding Racism, Diversity and Inclusion
- Free online course on Indigenous Canada The course explores Indigenous histories and current issues in Canada from an Indigenous perspective, and issues from a historical and critical viewpoint highlighting national and local Indigenous-settler relations. (University of Alberta Faculty of Native Studies)
- Police Violence? A plain language booklet about anti-Black racism, police violence, and what you can do to stop it (autisticadvocacy.org)
Webinars/virtual event series
Developmental Services Ontario
Community Family Services of Ontario and Autism Ontario
Children’s Healthcare Canada
- October 14 - Adrift Between Systems: Transition Experiences of Youth With Medical Complexity and Their Families
- October 15 - Ready2Work: Development of A User-Informed Online Employment Platform for Job Seekers with Autism
- October 21 - Parent and family important outcomes in Neonatology
- October 28 - Closing the evidence gap on cannabis, youth, and chronic pain
Children’s Treatment Network
Toronto District School Board
Autism Community Training (ACT) webinars
- Building Community Recreation Skills: Why It’s Important to Get Your Child with Autism Involved, and Where to Start (Oct 22)
- Combating Compassion Fatigue for Families and Caregivers of Children with Special Needs (Oct 23)
- Helping Your Child with Autism Thrive in Sport and Recreation (Nov 5)
Recreation & Life Skills
City of Toronto
- Sledge Hockey at Commander Park Arena: start date Oct 25. Participants must bring their own CSA approved hockey helmet. Participants must provide their own caregiver. For more information, contact: Terry Chung (416) 396-4071, firstname.lastname@example.org. To register: Call (416) 396-7378 (Option 1) or go to register for recreation programs Para sport Child Barcode # 3339426, Para sport Youth Barcode # 3339427
- Best Buddies virtual programming: Instagram live workouts, concerts and cooking offered.
- e-Buddies: An email pen pal program that provides safe opportunities for individuals with and without intellectual/developmental disabilities to start an email friendship. e-Buddies is in English and for anyone 10 years and older
Transitions & Employment
MentorAbility Canada - National Webinar Series
- Advancing Inclusion (Oct 15)
- Accessible workplaces (Oct 29)
- Employment: A Pivotal Part of Citizenship (Nov 29)
ARCH Disability Law Centre & DAWN Canada
- Free Legal Rights Virtual Workshop (Oct 15): Do you identify as a Deaf woman, woman with a disability, LGTBQ+ Deaf woman, or LGTBQ+ woman with a disability? Are you experiencing barriers surrounding employment? Do you wish you had more tools when self-advocating for your rights and disability-related accommodations? Then this safe, inclusive virtual workshop is for you and your allies
- Adult Resource Clinic for caregivers of adults with a developmental disability and/or autism (Must be registered with the DSO and 18+ years old): Provides an opportunity to meet with a service coordinator in adult services one-to-one. Parents will learn how to navigate services and complete application forms.
- e-newsletter (Adults) October 2020: Funding opportunities, mindfulness for adults, social groups, reproductive health study for people with disabilities, virtual college fairs for students
Holland Bloorview’s Grocery Foundation Family Resource Centre is a place where you can find information and resources on childhood disability that are helpful to you and your family. We have information on: respite, recreation, housing, funding, education, parenting and more. All Holland Bloorview workshops and events are listed on www.hollandbloorview.ca/familyevents Questions? Please e-mail email@example.com