Skip to main content

Effective Nov. 1, 2023, clients and families, visitors, vendors and staff are required to wear a mask while moving throughout the hospital, including while in elevators, in spaces where clients receive care or participate in research. A medical grade mask will be available upon entry.


FAMILY TIPSHEET: Funding Checklist

This is a brief list of some government funding programs, charities and tax credits that may be available to you, as a starting point. The Family Resource Centre also has an extended list of possible funding sources (link provided at the end of the document). Please note: third party information contained in this document does not imply endorsement by Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital.

Government funding sources

Federal funding programs and tax credits (across Canada)

  • Child Disability Benefit

  • Disability Tax Credit

  • Disability Supports Deduction

  • Family Caregiver Amount

  • GST/HST rebates and exemptions on income tax claim

  • Medical Expense Tax Credit

  • Registered Disability Savings Program (RDSP)

Provincial funding programs (across Ontario)

  • Assistance to Children with Severe Disabilities

  • Assistive Devices Program

  • Healthy Smiles Ontario

  • Northern Health Travel Grant

  • Ontario Drug Benefit

  • Special Services At Home

  • Trillium Drug Program

Alternative funding sources

Recreation and leisure funding

  • Canadian Tire Jump Start

  • Kidsport

  • Make A Wish Foundation

  • Starlight Children’s Foundation Canada

  • Sunshine Foundation

Funds a broad range of items (e.g. respite, equipment, basic household needs)

  • Ceridian Cares

  • Easter Seals Ontario

  • Jennifer Ashleigh Foundation

  • Labatt Better Together

Diagnosis or needs-specific funding

  • Muscular Dystrophy Canada

  • Ontario Federation for Cerebral Palsy (OFCP)

  • Ontario March of Dimes Home and Vehicle Modification Program

Have you heard of the Family Support Fund, for clients of Holland Bloorview? For more information, call extension 6303 or come down to the Grocery Foundation Family Resource Centre on the first floor.

Private funding

If you receive extended health benefits, ask if your insurance provider can help pay for the item or service you need (e.g. a wheelchair, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, speech therapy).

You will need your policy number or member ID number when you make the phone call so they can look up your file. You may also need a written estimate of the cost of the item or service, and a letter from a doctor, therapist or other health care professional explaining why you need the item or service.

For a more complete list of funding options, please go to

Last updated May 2018 by a Family Support Specialist and Family Leader