Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital has once again been recognized for providing outstanding safe and quality care for our clients and families.
Following a comprehensive review that evaluated our quality and safety practices against national standards, Accreditation Canada awarded Holland Bloorview accreditation with Exemplary Standing. This is the highest level of accreditation that can be earned. Moreover, Holland Bloorview scored 100 per cent for the second accreditation cycle in a row. We have been told by Accreditation Canada that this is a first for any hospital.
"Holland Bloorview is deeply committed to providing the best and safest client-centred care for the children, youth and families we serve," said Julia Hanigsberg, President and CEO of Holland Bloorview. "This result is a reflection of the hospital’s outstanding leadership, staff teams, students, and volunteers and made possible only through unparalleled partnerships with our clients and families."
Accreditation is an international, voluntary peer review process for health care organizations that happens every four years. An important part of the review is an onsite survey during which health-care peers representing Accreditation Canada examine our care in action and speak directly with staff, students, volunteers, clients and families, community partners, and members of our Board of Trustees.
"The Board of Trustees is incredibly proud of this achievement," said Cally Hunt, Chair of the Board of Trustees. "Holland Bloorview’s culture of excellence and engagement is what enables us to be a leader in the health system and meet and exceed national standards and best practices in care."
As part of our internationally-recognized leadership in partnering with clients and families, Holland Bloorview created the Family Leaders Accreditation Group (FLAG). A first-of-its-kind, FLAG provided the engagement framework through which clients and families were full and equal partners in quality improvement in the two years leading to the accreditation on-site survey.
"I commend Holland Bloorview for truly valuing the voices of clients and families, ensuring our expertise and experiences shape all quality improvements," said FLAG Chair and Family Leader Adrienne Zarem.
Accreditation Canada, in recognition of the strength of Holland Bloorview’s Family Leaders, selected FLAG chair Zarem and vice chair Alifa Khan to be two of the first patient/family surveyors,leveraging their expertise and knowledge of the accreditation process to help improve health care across Canada.
Accreditation Canada highlighted many of the ways Holland Bloorview is a leader in our health care system:
- The significant success of our meaningful and second to none partnerships with our clients and families in all major initiatives, decision making, and research
- Our commitment to being innovative and always striving to improve what we do
- Our overall focus and strength in quality
- Creating programs and services that support clients and families with transitions and self-advocacy
- Our staff members who provide leadership throughout the hospital and connect our work with our strategic goals
- Our commitment to providing an exceptional workplace in which staff can grow professionally
- Our ability to quickly embed best practices in our care
- Our strong collaboration between our scientists and care providers
- The exceptional value our many volunteers bring to the organization
- Our development of health system-wide leading practices, such as our Chronic Pain Toolbox