The information provided in this newsletter is for reference only. It is not intended as a recommendation or endorsement of organizations, news sources, policies or political parties, or as a comprehensive resource list. You can also access this newsletter online at hollandbloorview.ca/covid-19-tipsheets
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital
- Virtual Paperwork Party: COVID-19 updates (May 26): Learn about changes to funding options in response to COVID-19. This will include Special Services at Home (SSAH), Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD), Ontario Autism Program (OAP), the Holland Bloorview Family Support Fund (FSF) and information on how to access emergency government funding.
- Virtual Workshop: Siblings and Parents Q&A (May 27): This Virtual Sibling Question and Answer Workshop is only for siblings of people with disabilities (7 years old and up) and their parents! Parents and Siblings can attend the event together. All attendees must register in advance.
- Start early - strategies to promote employment inclusion (May 27): Free workshop for parents & caregivers of youth with disabilities (youth under age 12)
- Transitions Pop-up: Music Therapy Hour with the March of Dimes LIFE Program (May 29): Free virtual interactive music session with other Holland Bloorview clients, staff, youth from the LIFE Program. Participate in a way that works for you! Audio or video. Listen, sing, dance, or jam with an instrument!
- What can I be when I grow up? (June 3): Free workshop for parents & caregivers of youth with disabilities (youth 13 years and up, and who are still in high school)
- COVID-19: Tip Sheets and Resources : Supporting clients and families during COVID-19
- Wellness Services - May & June calendar of events (Surrey Place)
- York & Toronto-OAP Information Session (May 29) (Autism Ontario)
- Self-care: Taking care of the caregivers (June 2) (Azrieli Adult Neurodevelopmental Centre)
- Webinar series for parents and caregivers to explain how providers can support your child (and you) through virtual care (May 27, June 3, June 10, June 17) (Exceptional Lives)
- HB Alumni Network: Holland Bloorview values the experience and insights of clients and families. We have developed an alumni network so clients (13+), families, and caregivers can connect, share experiences and help us improve care and services. Click here to learn more and to register.
- BLOOM’s blog on parenting children with disabilities To subscribe to BLOOM’s monthly e-letter, go to the link and scroll down to the blue banner to input your e-mail. (Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital)
- BLOOM Facebook (Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital)
- My COVID Disability Q: Canada’s New Q&A Hub for Canadians with Disabilities: A twitter platform for Canadian children and youth with disabilities to ask questions that relate to both their disabilities and the COVID-19 outbreak (CanChild, the Kids Brain Health Network, and the CHILD-BRIGHT Network)
- Self-Advocates Share Real Life Impacts of COVID-19 (May 26) (Community Living Ontario)
- Nothing About Us, Without Us: Disability, Advocacy, and COVID-19 Webinar (May 28) (The Center for Independent Living Toronto)
- Parenting with a Disability Network: parenting and mental health and the ways it can be complicated to access support as a parent/prospective parent with a disability (May 26) For more information and to register: please email PDN coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 416-599-2458 ext 291
Virtual summer programs
Caregiver support groups
- Family Service Toronto
- Ontario Caregiver Organization (OCO) peer support group
- Autism Ontario
- Children’s Treatment Centre Simcoe-York
- Young Caregiver’s online support group (ages 15 - 25) (Ontario Caregiver Organization)
- Remote Young Carers Program Sessions (Young Carers Program): Please e-mail email@example.com with the subject line “YCP” with any questions or concerns you may have.
- Coffee and Conversation: A free social group for autistic adults (18 years and up) (CAMH/Azrieli Adult Neurodevelopmental Centre)
- Weekly workshops on Zoom (Corbrook/Awakening Abilities)
Covid-19 legal and government updates
- Updates on the law and legal services related to COVID-19 (Steps to Justice)
- COVID-19 updates on supports for people with disabilities (Partners for Planning)
- ODSP Covid-19 information (Ontario Disability Support Program)
- NEW: iDetermine - a safe, accessible and private online platform for women and non-binary individuals in abusive relationships (The Redwood Shelter)
This e-letter belongs to a set of specialized resources for the COVID-19 and Coronavirus outbreak period. If you are looking for other family resources that have to do with childhood disability, please visitwww.hollandbloorview.ca/resourcecentre
Holland Bloorview’s Grocery Foundation Family Resource Centre is a place where you can find information and resources on childhood disability that are helpful to you and your family. We have information on: respite, recreation, housing, funding, education, parenting and more. Questions? Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org