The information provided in this newsletter is for reference only. It is not intended as a recommendation or endorsement of organizations, news sources, policies or political parties, or as a comprehensive resource list. Past newsletters and COVID-19 specific tipsheets can be accessedhere
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital
- Family Tipsheet: Helping your child thrive during virtual or in-person school
- Paperwork party (Jan 26)
- Virtual Recreation, Respite and Life Skills Fair (Jan 30)
- Youth work experience participation programs: Information & Application Sessions for 2020/21 (Jan 24 or 30)
- Home for the Holidays: Tips and Resources for Parents and Caregivers of Kids with Special Needs - Dec 15 (Webinar recording)
Understanding Motor Learning Challenges in Children and Youth – Optimizing Success (Jan 28)
This free virtual workshop provides:
- information about motor planning challenges and Developmental Coordination Disorder
- coping techniques and strategies
- tools and resources for families
- information about supports available in the community
Registration required by Thursday January 21st, 2021. To register or for more information, please contact Leah Wong, firstname.lastname@example.org
How should healthcare providers talk about sexuality with children and youth with disabilities?
We’re looking for young adults aged 18-25 years with a disability, parents of children and youth with disabilities and healthcare providers to tell us their thoughts. If you’re interested in learning more, please email Madison Giles at email@example.com
COVID-19 testing service
In partnership with SickKids, Holland Bloorview now has a COVID-19 testing service for children with medical complexity and children with developmental conditions who cannot be served in their community and up to two (2) family members, such as family caregivers and/or siblings.
- An appointment is required to access the service and can be made by calling 416-419-4623. The line is open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. seven days a week, staffed by Holland Bloorview and SickKids staff.
- Appointments are available at SickKids during daytime hours (Monday to Friday and Sunday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.) or at Holland Bloorview during some evening hours (Monday and Wednesday, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.) and Saturdays, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The testing swab can be taken inside a vehicle or tent outside (SickKids) or in an indoor setting (Holland Bloorview).
Holland Bloorview Family Support Fund re-opens (as of January 1, 2021)
Please note that due to an increase in applications, only Holland Bloorview clients and families that have received less than $1500 from the Family Support Fund between April 1st, 2020 and January 1st, 2021 can access the Fund. For important details and the application form, click here. Not a Holland Bloorview client? Please consider attending one of our Paperwork parties to find out more about funding resources.
- HB Info Line helps children, youth and families learn about and get connected to the many programs and services at Holland Bloorview.
- Sibling Support group. Contact Victoria Rombos firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- Solution Focused Conversations for Families (online workshops) Contact Elaine Cook, email@example.com more information
- Harmony OnTrack Virtual Music Therapy Clinic offers virtual music therapy services for parents and caregivers of a Holland Bloorview client at no cost. Registration can be donehere or email SLEclinic@wlu.ca
- HB Alumni Network An alumni network for clients (13+), families and caregivers to connect, share experiences and help us improve care and services.
- Parent Voices @ Holland Bloorview Facebook
- BLOOM’s blog on parenting children with disabilities To subscribe to BLOOM’s monthly e-letter, go to the link and scroll down to the blue banner to input your e-mail
- BLOOM Facebook
- December 2020 BLOOM
Bloorview School Authority (BSA)
The BSA is now accepting referrals for the Integrated Education and Therapy (IET) Program for September 2021. For more information, click here
Covid-19 vaccine information
- City of Toronto vaccine information To access COVID-19 vaccine fact sheet in other languages, scroll down to “COVID-19 Vaccine Fact sheet” and click on tab. Vaccine information sheet is translated into over thirty languages.
- University Health Network COVID-19 vaccine resources
2021 March Break Reimbursement Fund (deadline Jan 22, 2021)
- Available to Ontario families of autistic children and youth who retain the services of a one-to-one support worker OR who have paid for their child to attend a 2021 March Break camp or program. For more information and to register click here.
Ontario Federation for Cerebral Palsy
Updated application form and guidelines will be available on January 5, 2021 for the:
- Life Emergency Action Fund (opens January 15) and the OFCP Assistive Devices Funding Program (opens January 29) Call 416 244 9686, ext. 221 or toll free 1-877-244-9686, ext. 221 with any questions. For more information click here.
Government of Ontario
Apply for Support for Learners funding
Parents and guardians will receive a one-time payment of $200 for each child up to age 12, or $250 for each child or youth up to age 21 with special needs. Deadline February 8, 2021
NOTE: The Support for Learners program will be expanded to students ages 13 to grade 12, including students who are in secondary school that are over 18. Applications will open on January 11, 2021. Details on eligibility and how to apply will be posted on the government of Ontario website.
Check out Children’s Treatment Network Surrey Place, and Family Service Toronto January calendars for events that support caregivers and social groups for children and youth.
Webinar: Ask the Doctor: Autism & Mental Health: A Focus on Caregivers (Jan 14)
Azrieli Adult Neurodevelopmental Centre, CAMH
- Mental health for adults with intellectual/developmental disabilities during COVID: A virtual six week course for family caregivers. Registration closes Jan 19, 2020. For more information and to register, click here
- Mindfulness for Autistic Adults group: Jan 22, 29, Feb 5, 12, 19, 26; Mindfulness for Caregivers of Autistic Adults group: Jan 22, 29, Feb 5, 12, 19, 26. For more information and to register, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Partners for Planning
Creative Options for Home: Exploring Individualized Housing Models (Jan 19)
The Conference Board of Canada
Mental Health and COVID-19 series (recorded webinars)
Holland Bloorview’s Grocery Foundation Family Resource Centre is a place where you can find information and resources on childhood disability that are helpful to you and your family. We have information on: respite, recreation, housing, funding, education, parenting and more. All Holland Bloorview workshops and events are listed on www.hollandbloorview.ca/familyevents Questions? Please e-mail email@example.com