Communication and writing aids service

Young girl uses an alternative communications device

The communication and writing aids service is provided in two streams:

Augmentative and alternative communication (AAC)

Children who require augmentative and alternative communication are children where their speech does not meet their daily communication needs and who require augmentative and alternative technology in order to communicate. More information on AAC.

Writing aids

In the writing aids stream, Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital serves children who are able to speak, but cannot write with a pen or pencil and require technology to support their written communication.

The communications and writing aids service (CWAS) at Holland Bloorview is fully integrated with clinical technology and research. One-on-one training is made available for every client. More information on writing aids.


A referral is required if the individual is not a client of Holland Bloorview, or has not been seen within the last year.
Referrals are accepted from: physicians, nurse practitioners, speech language pathologists, occupational therapists physiotherapists and psychologists.

Physician referral form - AAC

Physician referral form - Writing Aids

Health professional referral form - AAC

Health professional referral form - Writing Aids

Programs and services A-Z