Our baseline testing program provides both baseline testing and post-injury care for your child.
1) Baseline Test: A baseline concussion test is a pre-season exam involving a combination of neurocognitive and physical tests that provides a pre-injury picture of brain and body performance. Backed by our leading pediatric concussion experts and informed by our latest research, we have designed the most comprehensive baseline test available. Measures are neurocognitive (verbal and visual memory, reaction time, processing speed) and physical (strength, agility and balance).
2) Post-Injury Care: The importance of a baseline testing program lies in the post-injury care. Timely access to the right care and information helps qualified health care providers make informed return to school and sport decisions. Additionally, comparing post-injury test results to baseline test results provides critical information to better assess the impact of the concussion and help our physician accurately determine when it is safe to return to activity.
In the event of a concussion, our program offers:
- Concussion management services with a developmental pediatrician who is specifically trained to manage pediatric brain injury.
- Concussion education for youth and families on the most up-to-date management strategies through ‘Concussion and You’.
- A follow-up test with an occupational therapist using the baseline measures.
- Appointment with our pediatrician to determine return to activity clearance.